Sunday, September 11, 2011

Treading water


Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only one at 40something to feel so out of sorts.  I look back at my younger self who was so confidant and passionate.  Who knew what she wanted to do with her life, a career she loved and was dating.

Now I’m just treading water and feel like all the things I want to do have passed me by to be pursued by younger women who are taking my jobs.  I hate to sound bitter but I’m really frustrated that I’m an accomplished, smart, hardworking woman who’s looking for a job.  I’m trying to create opportunities that use my talents of communications, style, personality and wit to my advantage for a new career direction.

So I’m looking at the communication field which was my minor in college (so long ago) and advertising which was my original major before I switched to Political Science (I really wanted to help people/make a change than I realized it was full of disappointment and very little money).  

I currently working with Tony and Camille who operate the camera at various events I attend to interview people.  I’m hoping that my great sense of humor and friendly interview style will attract the attention of a media service that will either bring me on as contractor or FT with my team production team.

I’ve already done interviews at the First Los Angeles Taste food event.  I worked events in Beverly Hills and Hollywood with my team we got some great interviews with chefs and attendees.  I’m looking forward to doing a series on the vibrant creative chefs we have here in Los Angeles.  I’m also interested in learning more about the ‘Farm to Table’ cooking philosophy that quite a few chefs believe in and follow.

I’m planning on talking with up and coming chefs, established chefs, food truck operators, small restaurants, caterers and just learning about food.  I think that it will be a great series as a lover of eating good food.
It’s sort of crazy but I was feeling frustrated about my career direction but even just writing about my new career plans gets me SOOO excited!  I just can’t believe that my midlife crisis has just reignited my passion!  

No comments: